I remember my sister-in-laws mum making these once, and I remember how good they were, so I took it upon myself to make some gluten free ones the weekend just gone as I missed the taste of the little delights since being diagnosed with coeliac disease.
I’m not the best baker in the world so it took me quite a bit of time to get them all done, but they tasted marvellous so this is a recipe I would recommend to anyone.
I found the recipe on the Freedom Deli website and I’ve copied it here for reference.
- 350g gluten free flour
- 1 heaped tsp gluten free baking powder
- 150g butter
- Pinch salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g currants
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Oil to cook
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl
2. Rub the butter into the flour
3. Add the nutmeg, sugar and currants
4. Add the beaten eggs to the mixture
5. Add the oil and lemon juice
6. If the mixture is a bit dry, add a little milk
7. Roll out to about half a centimetre thick and use a cutter or glass to cut into rounds (I had to dust my work surface with flour as the mixture was quite sticky and wouldn’t come off the spoon!)
8. Add a little oil into a hot frying pan and bake for a few minutes each side until browned evenly
And that’s it! Gluten Free Welsh Cakes!
Thank you Freedom Deli for a brilliant recipe!